Sunday, March 14, 2010

You Are So Undead To Me - Stacey Jay

Q: HOW MANY ZOMBIES DOES IT TAKE TO RUIN A SOCIAL LIFE?

A: NOT MANY.

Megan Berry is a Zombie Settler by birth, which means she's part-time shrink to a whole bunch of semi-dead people with killer issues. All Megan really wants is to go to homecoming, but when you're trailed by a bunch of slobbering corpses whenever you leave the house, it's kinda hard to score a date. Let's just say Megan's love life could use some major resuscitation.
Megan's convinced her life can't get any worse--until someone in school starts using black magic to turn average, angsty Undead into scary, hardcore flesh-eating Zombies. Now it's up to Megan to stop the Zombie apocalypse. Her life--and more importantly, the homecoming dance--depends on it.

Title: You Are So Undead To Me
Author: Stacey Jay
Genre: Young Adult, Zombie Fiction
Publisher: Razorbill
My Rating: 4/5

The title is quite tongue in cheek and sets the tone for this novel. I've never honestly been a fan of zombie books, so this one was refreshingly better than most. I found it quite lighthearted and endearing. Megan has powers that she doesn't want; she just wants to lead a normal life. Sadly, she seems to stumble upon zombies wherever she goes and has to deal with them without getting killed in the process. I really enjoyed the characters that we saw, they were predictable in places, but in other characters there were some surprising twists. I find that because of how many mystery/suspense/thriller books that I have read, I'm rarely surprised with endings anymore, however I didn't know the reasoning to why certain people did what they did, so it was nice to find out why they were committing these acts. It was definitely a "bubblegum" version of zombies, but I seem to like that a lot more than the apocalyptic versions. (I normally hate reading about zombies.) The book was a quick and easy read, and it was good. It is definitely something that I'd recommend to those who were unsure of zombie fiction, as well as those well-versed in the genre. All in all a good book to add to your to be read list, especially after something dark and tense. The antics and scenarios that Megan gets into will definitely have you laughing out loud and shaking your head at her, respectively.

This book counts toward the 2010 100+ Reading Challenge hosted over at J. Kaye's book blog.

4 comments:

j said...

I enjoyed this one too. I am reading the sequel, Undead Much? right now. Great review!

Maria said...

I'll definitely check this out :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Great review! I avoided this one because I was so turned off zombie books by Generation Dead...maybe I'll give it a go after all :)

Corrine said...

Thanks for the comments Jami, Maria and Melissa! I know I'm not a fan of zombie fiction either, but this one was not bad at all! :)